PESTLE Insights: South Macroeconomic - Overview
PESTLE Insights: South Africa - Macroeconomic Outlook Report
Mining, manufacturing and utilities contributed 25.1% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2018, followed by financial intermediation, real estate and business activities (19.7%) and wholesale, retail and hotels activities (15%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are expected to grow by 6.0%, 5.2% and 6.3%, respectively, in 2019
Due to higher regional income inequality and uneven population distribution, Guateng, KwaZulu Natal and Western Cape account for 63.5% of total domestic product and 55% of the population, as per the latest available data.
Finance, insurance real estate and business services attracted most investment in 2017
The overall FTSE/JSE All Share (Johannesburg Stock Exchange) index has been exhibiting a downward trend over the last year. As of September 23, 2019, the FTSE/JSE index stood at 55,622.8, compared to 57,164.25 on September 21, 2018.
- South Africa's air and rail networks are the largest in the continent, and the roads are in good condition. The countrys ports provide a natural stopover for shipping to and from Europe, the Americas, Asia, Australasia and both coasts of Africa. However, as per World Bank's logistics performance index (LPI), transport and logistic infrastructure in South Africa declined in the last two years with a fall in rank from 20th in 2016 to 33rd in 2018.
Reasons to buy
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the countrys snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies
presence in these areas.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
List of Exhibits
Did you Know?
List of Figures
Exhibit 1: South Africa?s Performance in the Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to Middle East and Africa and the World
Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100)
Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights behind the Index
Exhibit 4: FTSE/JSE All Share Index
Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy (2014-2021f)
Exhibit 6: FDI Inflows and Outflows, 2011-2017
Exhibit 7: Net FDI Inflows by Sector (2017)
Exhibit 8: FDI Inflows Share by Region (2017)
Exhibit 9: FDI Inflows by Type of Investment (2011-2017)
Exhibit 10: Key Infrastructure Indicators
Exhibit 11: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate (2014-2021f)
Exhibit 12: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2018)
Exhibit 13: Export, Import and Trade Balance (2014-2021f)
Exhibit 14: Current Account Balance (2014-2021f)
Exhibit 15: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2013-2017
Exhibit 16: Pearls, Precious Stones and Metals, % of Total Exports, 2017
Exhibit 17: Interest Rates (September 2012- September 2019)
Exhibit 18: Exchange Rate and Inflation (2014-2021f)
Exhibit 19: Public Finance (2014-2021f)
Exhibit 20: General Government Debt (2014-2021f)
Exhibit 21: Employment/Unemployment (2014-2021f)
Exhibit 22: Average Annual Wages (2014-2021f)
Exhibit 23: Labour Cost Index (2014-2021f)
Exhibit 24: Rural/Urban Share of Total Population (1990,2000,2010,2020)
Exhibit 25: Age-group Share of Total Population (2000,2010,2020)
Exhibit 26: Gender Split (1990,2000,2010,2020)
Exhibit 27: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile Penetration Rate and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2018e
Exhibit 28: Number of Patents Granted Per M population, 2018
Exhibit 29: High-technology Exports (% of Manufactured Exports), 2018
Exhibit 30: Doing Business in South Africa 2019
Exhibit 31: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2018
Exhibit 32: CO2 Emissions (2012-2017)